Saturday 19 December 2015

Tree Time Continued...

So remember when I said that the kids were pretty little when we started cutting our own trees down in New Ross? Well, they were really little!


Turns out after a little investigation that the first year was 2006, 9 years ago. I did a lot of scrapbooking back when my boy was little, and I just love looking back thru the albums...Not-So-Little PurpleBoots was indeed a Little PurpleBoots back then. Good grief, how he's grown. How they've all grown! Katie is in her first year at university, Cam started high school and Ben is in his last year of junior high. Time flies!


Anyway,  back to 2015. I took my wee quilt with me in hopes that a photo opportunity might work in to the event, but after all these years of practice, we've got this tree chopping gig down to a science and we were in and outta there in record time. I did manage to nab just one shot, but the wind blew my perfectly draped quilt off it's corner perch just as I pushed the button.


For the first time in Clevey history (*that's Levy + Cleveland reduced)  we've got a pine tree. A very tiny pine tree. In fact it's not even as tall as the book case by which it stands. The teeny weeny pine tree is adorable and the boy loved it at first sight but it isn't without its issues. The branches are rather flimsy, the trunk twisted and gaping holes have appeared that weren't exactly noticed when he saw it standing proudly at the edge of the lot, shining like a beacon of Christmas joy, begging to be the chosen one.


I suppose a mother should be more conservative in handing her son the saw with permission to cut whatever tree makes him happy...especially when the challenge of decorating is left to her.  I didn't manage to get many ornaments to stay put on its limbs but all the special ones are there and the weight of the star is attempting to push the weak spine of the tree top into downward dog position, a position that seems more possible with each passing day.



It's is fair to say that this pueny pine certainly gave me a run for my money, all $13 of it. Yup. You read that right. 13 bucks. That's all we pay for our annual Christmas conifer. Seems such a pidly amount when one considers the enormous role of the tree in the making of a family Christmas, doesn't it?

7 comments:

  1. I love it. Pines always tempt me, and so does the imperfect tree. Seems boys will do that to you. :)

    Merry Christmas Cleveys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh....the Christmas memories. I never met a Christmas tree I didn't love. They are all so thoughful and personal. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you can choose a tree and see what it looks like. Out west the trees were cut and packaged weeks ahead and when you went to the tree lot, the trees were frozen flat and wrapped. You guessed, purchased, 50.and up. Said tree was put some where to thaw out and after a day or two you discovered what you had, not always pretty. Merry Christmas. Our tree spins around on its stand, enticing the cat to chase, pursue ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tree, it reminds me of the Charlie Brown tree's big brother! Lol. We have an artificial tree (Mr. LBC didn't want a real tree, the party pooper)but it's looking a little battered this year. LBC and Elvis have decided to redecorate the bottom half by knocking/carrying off all the ornaments, pulling the beads into a pile in the floor, and bundling up the tree skirt in a ball underneath it. It's truly a tree even a mother could barely love right now! Hahaha. Hope you have a Merry Christmas Val! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your tree , it looks very festive and I enjoyed your story about the process of selecting a tree :-) Merry Christmas to you and you family .

    ReplyDelete
  6. We often had pine trees when I was growing up. Even if they're fresh from the tree lot, they present some decorating challenges. But kudos to you for being the antithesis of the helicopter parent - letting NSLPB make choices all of his own, especially when it's something as iconic as the family Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete